Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Finding Favor?

In one of our recent Catalyst gatherings, JR. was talking about spending time reading the Bible - not as a checklist of something we have to do to stay in good graces with God, but to really get to know Him.  And a great place to do that is with the gospels.

I admit, this is such a struggle for me.  This morning I dropped the boys off at daycare, and I got back home and was all set to start tackling my to-do list for the morning.  I remembered JR.'s words and remembered it's all about relationship.  Spending time with the Creator, with the One who loves me so completely and thoroughly.  I put down the cup I had in my hand and decided the dishwasher could definitely wait.

So, I cracked opened a new version of the Bible I haven't explored much yet called "The Story." It is set up in novel-form, and, for some odd reason, the layout is just so appealing to me.  I found the beginning of the New Testament and began reading.  I was reading about the true light that has come into the world - but that the world didn't recognize its true light - its maker.  Yes, still so very true for us today!

But what struck me most was a phrase the angel Gabriel says to Mary when he's telling her the big news that she would become pregnant with the Son of God:

"Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God."

Hmm... what would this "favor" look like for Mary's life?  Pregnant and unmarried... The center of vicious rumors and gossip... Shouldering the weight of knowing that your precious Son would be sentenced to death.  What God was asking of Mary makes sense that she would be afraid - completely and utterly afraid.  To say it would be extremely difficult to see the good side of God's favor in Mary's situation would be an extreme understatement.

But what did she do next?  When the angel leaves her, Mary's response is to thank God.

What?!

She is rejoicing and praising God: "for the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is His name."

Wow.

God, help me to realize - and be okay with knowing - that finding favor with You will not mean life is easy or comfortable.  As we see in the life of Mary - and in Jesus' time on earth - following You will definitely lead to scary situations and crazy-difficult paths.  But You are with us.  May I, like Mary, have a spirit that is thankful for Your favor.  May I have eyes to see Your goodness and Your light in the midst of every situation, grateful - and humbled - when You choose to use me.

No comments:

Post a Comment